Choose a State:

Remove Mold Safely With Oxygen Bleach

Chlorine Bleach

So far, the fastest way to remove mold at home is to use a mixture of one part of water and four parts of chlorine bleach. The chlorine solution is able to eliminate mold quickly from surfaces, walls and carpets. But the solution is so strong it also wipes off the color from fabrics and damages furniture.

Chlorine fumes also hurt the eyes and the nose. There is also the risk that someone in your house will mix cleaning liquids with the chlorine bleach, unknowingly producing poisonous chlorine gas.

Oxygen Bleach

Mold cleaning agent manufacturers have developed an alternative to chlorine bleach. It is called oxygen bleach. This type of bleach is safe and environment-friendly. It does not harm fabrics or surfaces. Yet it is able to eliminate stubborn stains. Each manufacturer has its own mixtures, forms, sizes and packaging. If you can find a chlorine bleach product in pure form, choose it over the chlorine blends.

The other advantages of oxygen bleach are:

  • Enhanced color of fabrics
  • Longer shelf stability than products made with liquid hydrogen peroxide
  • Functions as a disinfectant against bacteria and virus
  • Absence of toxic effects when mixed with other household cleaning agents
  • Not toxic to people, pets and plants
  • Does not harm the environment as the bleach breaks down into natural ash after it is used

The only disadvantages so far of oxygen bleach are:

  • their higher cost
  • longer time in dissolving into water
  • longer time in cleaning the mold

Keep in mind though that you do not need to use oxygen or chlorine bleach frequently or even occasionally if you just take steps to prevent mold growth. Prevent the three conditions that induce mold spores to grow and flourish. The three conditions are:

1. Conducive temperature

The temperature in basement, crawlspaces and other dark spaces induce mold spores to be more active.

2. Food sources

Most surfaces where mold spores stay are also good sources of food for mold.


Water moisture, water vapor or invisible droplets cause mold spores to spring out and turn into full-blown molds.